Thursday, October 14, 2010

VMFA assignment update



I had the pleasure of viewing Fine Art and Flowers this evening. It accomplishes exactly what I'd hoped it would - I viewed paintings I'd never noticed before in a new light and was struck by the imagination and inspiration of the florists who created the arrangements. 


Please note in reference to your assignment - you only have to email me photos of the arrangement and the artwork you choose to work from - but you must SEE the entire installation as well as the Chuck Close and Himalayan (S. Asia) Art Collections on the top floor. 


I included Francesco Clemente's miniatures on the list of things for you to see in the Lewis Collection but nix that as they are not on view at the moment. Instead make a special effort to see French Drawings (and Watercolors) from Corot to Cezanne on the second floor.


The Fine Art and Flowers will take you to most all of the galleries on the lisr if you pick up a map at the entrance and see the entire show as I've assigned. The Chuck Close Exhibition and the French Drawing Exhibitions are traveling exhibitions so you must make a special effort to see them.


I advise that you photograph the arrangement and artwork you are most inspired by as well as a few details of each. Ideally your watercolor will include details from the arrangement (a botanical lesson) as well as details from the artwork the florist referenced in the background.


Enjoy your time at YOUR MUSEUM and be sure to email me any questions you may have about this assigment!


Have a great weekend.
Professor O.

7 comments:

  1. I went to the VMFA both yesterday and again this evening with my daughter. We were inspired by the floral artists' interpretations of the paintings, sculpture, stained glass and even furniture! Beautiful flowers drew us to art that we may have overlooked otherwise. Seeing the French watercolors and drawings of Cezanne, Van Gogh and other masters literally sent chills down my spine. I'm glad I went twice!

    Mary Auerbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chuck Close exhibition was inspiring. The cylindrical piece that reflected the artwork it sat upon was awesome. The paintings ranged from massive in size to small sketch pages. The women he depicted on the silk was crazy good when viewed from the opposing side of the room. The man done in watercolor was amazing. All of his pieces looked incredible when viewed from afar, and when I got real close to them I could see all the attention to detail.

    The french watercolors were stunning. Van Gogh really was a master. MY favorite exhibition was the Himalayan art. The compositions were exactly what I was expecting. Mandala patterns and symbolics of the pieces were very well done.

    The Florist installation was very bright and beautiful. also artists had made a swan collaboration that had my attention. see my pix emails.

    -max

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing more of Chuck Close's artwork at the museum. I had never been to the museum so I got lost, but enjoyed being lost. The floral arrangements were so beautiful. I was amazed how different they were from each other. I am glad that you made this a homework assignment or I would have never been and seen all of these things. The French watercolors were absolutely amazing.

    - Lauren Clarke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing Chuck Close's work was definitely my favorite part of my museum trip. I was so inspired by his work and it was really interesting to look up close at each individual section of his works. The floral installations were interesting to look at as well. I enjoyed some of the French watercolors but most of them didn't interest me. I really enjoyed seeing work from some of the artists we have discussed or looked at, throughout the museum. Overall, this was a really fun homework assignment.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the museum thursday night and was very much inspired by the way the florists created their flower bouquets in contrast to the paintings.
    I love going to the museum anytime and see the paintings that I've talked through with my Art history teacher, and this time the Chuck Close exhibition was really inspiring for me. I was lucky enough to actually take some really good pictures of his works of art.
    My favorite was the french watercolor section. Cezanne, Van Gogh, and many other artists have always been a inspiration to me, and it is always a creative pleasure to see their
    original works right infront of me.
    I'd say this was by far the most fun homework experiance this semester.

    - Jennifer Bade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prof. Oliver,
    I just tried to send an email with my floral arrangment attached to it, and your inbox is full. If I'm not able to email you the picture, I'll bring it with me to class tomorrow.

    - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sent an email to you earlier and now I have an email saying it was never delivered because your inbox is full, like Jennifer said.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete