Thursday, February 9, 2012

Studio Notes


Studio Notes

In the studio

Review progress of Homage paintings.

Revisit course blog and assessment criteria for course.

Continue painting homage paintings.

Listen to David Hockney series "The Secret Knowledge."

Homework

Complete your homage watercolor for a critique at the beginning of class on Tuesday

Bring a plant or flower to class - real, potted, silk or plastic. We will look at the artwork of botanical watercolorists after our critique on Tuesday.

View this link for an excellent example:

Review the secret knowledge YouTube series linked in Tuesday's post. Comment on Hockney's thesis via the comment link below. What question would you ask Mr Hockney if you had the chance? Do you think that the artists described in Hockney 's thessis  are cheating? Why?

6 comments:

  1. I believe this is a good method to use but its kind of like tracing art work which is easier but frowned apon by certain people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the idea of tracing. I really like the some what of a debate that was had during the video on wether or not it is "cheating" to trace. I to agree totally that it is not cheating, and it is just another tool advailable to an artist...like a ruler or square to an architect.

      Delete
  2. I also like the idea of tracing. I really like the some what of a debate that was had during the video on wether or not it is "cheating" to trace. I to agree totally that it is not cheating, and it is just another tool advailable to an artist...like a ruler or square to an architect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would ask him, what was the initial reaction of the first person he shared his full thesis with?

    For me, I'm kind of on the fence about tracing. Yes I see it as a good and useful tool, but I guess it's because I've done things by hand my entire life, I don't see it as acceptable completely.

    I think that it's more widely spread acceptable than not, though. Possibly one day I'll be more open to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could ask him a question it would probably have something to do with the appearance of the lenses in the paintings. Can he tell the difference between a painting done in a style similar to those done with a lens and ones that actually relied on the lens? I o not in the least think this is cheating, because art is about the message. and if they got the message across that that the artists intended then their mission was accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Hockney's Video Series: The Secret Knowledge, he clearly demonstrates artists were using optical devices/tools to draw photo realistic pictures. This is unsettling information when you consider no one has questioned how the great masters created their work until Hockney! Fascinating and unbelievable to think artist used such devices.... and yet very ingenious. As for the issue of "cheating" in video 8, Hockney addressees this idea stating " once traced artist must paint in his own way!" It seems unusual to me to trace an image but, I do agree it the artist painting skills that finish the work and ultimately make it is own.

    to Hockney: Have you ever used an optical device for the creation of your own work?

    ReplyDelete